The Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) organizes a yearly Innovation Initiative (a “testbed”) where members collaborate to quickly prototype the latest solutions to geo-spatial data problems. Geomatys has begun working on this year’s initiative, Testbed-16, which will address Earth Observation Clouds; Data Integration, Interoperability & Analytics; Data Containers; and Security. The full scope of Testbed-16 is summarized in the following schematic:
Geomatys will work on 2 components of the testbed workflow: one dealing with Jupyter Notebook and the other with Jupyter Kernel:
- Jupyter Notebook – Jupyter Notebook interacts with API endpoints D165-167 for data retrieval and data processing.
- ADES1/EMS2 with Jupyter Kernel – ADES/EMS implementation with Jupyter supports notebook chaining. The platform will interact with Data Access and Processing APIs.
Geomatys is working on a Datacube solution providing Java/Python API accessible through Jupyter and Zeppelin notebooks.
Planned work :
1.Within Geomatys (extending beyond the Testbed objectives):
- Extend Datacube capabilities to include access to OGC DAPA API.
- Improve access and processing APIs by leveraging OGC GeoAPI features.
2. With other OGC Testbed-16 teams:
- Unify APIs to seamlessly delegate access and processing of data to best fitting back-end service (DAPA or Datacube/Dask cluster).
3. Specific contributions to the Testbed:
- Deploy Jupyter/Zeppelin notebooks exploiting DataCube/GeoAPI engines.
- Develop a WPS component capable of supporting the deployment of a user notebook (or chain of notebooks) as an independent WPS process.
Architecture of the thematic exploitation platform (TEP)
1 ADES (Application Deployment and Execution Service) is a single server-side component and it is in charge of all aspects pertaining to the deployment and execution of Earth Observation applications on different cloud providers
2 EMS (Execution Management Service) is in charge to validate user credentials, perform product search on OpenSearch Catalogue, transfer requests to the relevant ADES server and execute workflow, dispatching each step to differents ADES where are located the relevant data and merge all results provide by ADES
More information: https://www.ogc.org/projects/initiatives/t-16